Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Update: My Ten (or Fifteen) Best Movies List

Every year pre-Oscar I post a tentative, incomplete list of best movies of the year--with a few additions to come. I see a lot of movies, including many indie, foreign and doc, but unlike "real" critics, I don't get invited to screenings and so, at that point, I have not seen all the contenders.  Then in January and February I catch up on most of the stronger candidates I'd missed.  Now I'm only missing Toni Erdmann, which I will see tomorrow, weather permitting.  So here we go, a top 16, from what I can say now, in approximate order.

Manchester By the Sea
The Salesman (Iran)
Hell or High Water
Jackie
Moonlight
The Innocents 
The Witness
Loving 
20th Century Women
La La Land
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
The Lobster
The Tower
The People vs. Fritz Bauer 
I Am Not Your Negro
The Handmaiden

Close but no cigar:  Elle, Fences, Hidden Figures.   Paterson was disappointing.

No comments: